Fort Augustus Abbey School
Old Boys Association
Corbie NEWSLETTER APRIL 2009
(With 2008 AGM Minutes)
Calendar of Dates Saturday 20th June - Dinner Dance at
Golf Outing Strathmore G.C. On Sunday the16th of August we will once again hold the Abbey Boys Golf Classic at the picturesque and challenging Strathmore G.C. The first tee is booked for 12.45 pm and the price which includes High Tea is £39. Please book early for this sporting and fun day, to Ralph G. 01738 624674.
Annual Dinner and Report Last year's 12th Annual Dinner was once more a great success and fully booked. The meal was excellent, and thanks to Maurice, Chris and Ralph for the Wine, Port and Bennies. Our guest speaker Sheriff George Kavanagh KCHS. gave us an interesting and entertaining insight into his experiences on the Bench at
This year's dinner for O. Bs. and partners will be at the usual venue, Maurice Taylor's acclaimed Holiday Inn, West Nile Street, Glasgow on Saturday the 3rd of October preceded by th AGM. at 7.00. The guest speaker will be the prominent Catholic Law Lord Hugh Matthews who is renowned for his after dinner speeches. The dinner will cost £33 a head. Accommodation with the usual
News (1) Development of the Abbey by the Raven Group continues. The flats in the main buildings have been completed, but work on the
Deaths Michael Drummond 14th April 2008.( Carlekemp 1951-1956, Fort Augustus 1956-1961). Mike set up and maintained our web site, where you can see an obituary on his life. He will be greatly missed, our sympathy goes out to Lorna his wife.
Abbot Alban Boultwood 25th March 2009. Abbot Alban was aged 97 and was Honorary President of our OB Association. An obituary will appear at a later date and will be published on the website.
Masses will be said for the above and also all deceased Old Boys by our chaplain Fr. Stephen Dunn.
Website Appropriately enough, a mention about our website - Mike’s initiative. Mike Drummond did an excellent job of setting up the Corbie website. The forums allow the OBs to keep in touch and reminisce. One of the latest, and the largest debates so far, is the William Wattie initiated ‘How was it for you’ which has drawn over 52 contributions so far (and has been read over 2300 times). Thoughts for the website include providing more information (from the OBs, of course), like lists of headmasters the abbots, class lists. The web no longer provides a list of OBs email addresses unfortunately as a result of spamming opportunities it can provide. Thoughts for the new web are most welcome.
Minutes of the 67th AGM Sat. 4th Oct.2008 Holiday Inn,
Present Andrew Basigara, Damian Bell, John Booth, Jim Brown, Colin Bryce, George Campbell, Brian Caulfield, Peter Caufield, Tony Duncan, Fr.Stephen Dunn, Chris Dunn, Mark Dunn, Iain Dunn, Joe Dunn, Ralph Giulianotti, Mark Giulianotti, Eric Harrison, Martin Harrison, Owen Halloran, Lawrence Hogarth, Paul Lombardi, Gerry Martin, Iain McLaughlin, Shane Mackenzie, Angus Mackinnon, Paddy Mulligan, Henry Murphy, Tom Murphy, Jim O'Heay, Tom O'Heay, Billy Sinclair, Maurice Taylor, Iain Traquair, Mike Turnbull, Richard Welch.
Apologies Alasdair Macdonald, Colin McAllister, Gerry Devine, Chris Stephenson, Pat Barron, Ralph Giulianotti Jnr, Vincent Igoe, John Maclellan.
1. Opening Prayer Led by our Chaplain Fr. Stephen Dunn.
2. Minutes 2007 AGM Proposed for adoption by Lawrence Hogarth and seconded by Maurice Taylor.
3. Matters Arising After the sad deaths of Treasurer Joe Dunn and Hon Vice President Hamish McDonald, the chairman was pleased to announce that Joe's son Mark and Fr. Benedict who were voted in unanimously in absentia have accepted the vacant positions. The sudden and sad death of our webmaster Mike Drummond in April was recorded. His funeral was well attended by OBs and Chris Stephenson laid a wreath in Abbey Colours with Corbie on our behalf. Our condolences go out to his
4. Website Following Mike Drummond's death his work was continued by Colin Bryce who at short notice has done a brilliant job. OBs present thanked Colin and with their encouragement he agreed to continue as Webmaster. Colin added that there were193 members participating in the Forum and invited OBs to send in more news and photographs. He also said he would get in touch with Chris Stephenson regarding the costs of the site.
5. Committee Report
a) Martin Waugh and Colin Petteranna arranged a sucessfull Dinner Dance for the classes of the 70's and 80's at the Lovat Hotel, preceded by lunch in the Boathouse Restaurant on arrival. The next dinner Dance will be on the 20th June 2009, and 10 more OBs and partners are hoped for. b) The outing to The Perth Races Family Day on one of the few warm sunny days in July was a sell-out. All present had a great day, and enjoyed the private marquee, good catering, face painting for the kids and a 7to1 tip that allowed most present to go home with some winnings. c) The Abbey Golf Classic was once more held at Strathmore G.C. in August. The weather for the first time was wet and windy, but this did not deter the hardy OBs. After a hard fought cmpetition the Scratch Quaich which has now become a stableford competition was won by David Sutherland and the F.A. Handicap Cup by Carlo Aranci. d) The finale of the year is this evening's dinner at OB Maurice Taylor's renowned Holiday Inn. Once again we managed to squeeze everyone in.Tonight's guest speaker is a prominent Catholic legal figure, Sheriff George Kavanagh KCHS., who sits on the bench at Paisley and will no doubt have interesting and amusing experiences to relate. I am sure our dinner will again be a night to remember with the usual first class meal, great service and jolly good company. Many thanks to Maurice for providing the wine, Chris the port and Ralph the Bennies.
6. Treasurer's Report There was £6,712 in the bank at the end of the financial year. Subscriptions by banker's order amounted to £325. Maurice Taylor suggested that each
7. Elections Hon.Pres.Abbot Alban Boultwood; Vice President Fr Benedict Seed; Treasurer Mark Dunn; Chairman and Committee Ralph Giulianotti, Chris Stephenson, Brian Caulfield and Mike Turnbull. Two new members were elected, Colin Bryce proposed by Ralph Giulianotti and seconded by Chris Dunn and Vincent Igoe proposed by Shane Mackenzie and seconded by Owen Halloran. Although now in post for 13 years, Ralph Giulianotti declared himself to be willing to continue as Chairman for another year.
8.AOB a) Fr. Francis Davidson is now 70 and after having a heart replacement valve operation this summer is once more enjoying good health. Fr. Edward Delepine is 90 and has had two cataract operations. Fr Benedict Seed is 75 and in his words should be retired, but is still hale and hearty and ejoying being P.P. at Brora. Ad Multos Annos to them all. b) The bench and tree for Hamish McDonald are in place at his favourite walk at Auchterawe. The Chairman read a letter of thanks to the OBs from his widow, Alison. A plaque is now on the bench. c) The Lodge Fr. Michael Savage sent a letter of thanks on behalf of the F.A. parishioners for the cheque towards a new boiler and vestments. He will say a mass at the beginning of November for deceased Monks and OBs.
Deaths The Chairman reported the deaths of Mike Drummond, John P. Marshall, Archie Wason R.I.P. Chaplain Fr. Stephen will include them in his Masses for deceased Old Boys. An appeal was made for news on Births, Marriages and Deaths.
Date of next AGM Saturday 3rd October 2009 preceding OB Dinner