Fort Augustus Abbey School
Old Boys Association
FORT AUGUSTUS OLD BOYS ASSOCIATION AGM Minutes 2014
73rd AGM Saturday 18 October 2014, Holiday Inn, Glasgow
Present:Peter Atkinson, George Campbell, Brian Caulfield, Mike Cipolato, Kevin Deady, Gerard Devine, Fr. Stephen Dunn, Tony Duncan, Chris Dunn, Mark Dunn, Ralph Giulianotti, Neil Godfrey, Nigel Guthrie, Owen Halloran, Martin Harrison, Eric Harrison, John Kelly, Vic Macari, Alasdair Macdonald, Colin McAllister, Angus Mackinnon, Paddy Mulligan, Tom Murphy, Henry Murphy, Tom O’Hey, James O’Hey, Dermot O’Reilly, Mike Turnbull, Richard Welsh..
Apologies:Pat Barron, Maurice Taylor, Laurence Hogarth, Ralph & Mark Giulanotti, Colin Bryce, Gerry Martin, Colin Peteranna, Vinnie Igoe, Tony Duncan..
1. Opening Prayer: This was taken from an OB booklet from 1976 and read by our Chaplain Fr. Stephen Dunn.
2. Minutes of the 2013 AGM: Having been circulated were passed as an accurate record – proposed for adoption by Gerry Devine, seconded by Chris Dunn.
3. Matters Arising: See item 8 (below) discussing the publicity in the media.
4. The Website: Webmaster Colin Bryce reported on the current situation. The Forum has been closed as it could not be moderated 24 hours a day. Colin had emailed feedback from Dr. Calum Bartlett (1937-42) from Barra who described his ‘very happy days’ at the Fort and how, although having passed more than two Highers, was too young for University. He was given a teaching position in the school. He recalled Abbot Hunter Blair, Fr. Anselm Richardson who came from England to replace Dom Wulstan Knowles. ‘The Pots’ Strike’ over Fr. Maurus’s regime after which the latter was assigned to look after the grounds. Calum, unfortunately, has since passed away but more of his memories will appear in the Newsletter. The Chairman on behalf of all present gave a big vote of thanks to Colin for keeping the site up to date and interesting.
5. Committee Report: The Annual Dinner (which was very well attended) was a great night. The meal and service first class. Thanks go to Maurice for the wine and Alasdair and Ralph for the Bennies. A golf outing was held in September at Blairgowrie G.C. where a week later the Junior Ryder Cup was played. The course was in great condition, weather sunny and meal very good. Peter Murphy won the Stableford Cup and Ralph G. won the Handicap Quaich.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Mark Dunn C.A. presented the accounts and stated we had £5,460 in the bank, an increase of £60 from 2013. He was thanked by all for his sterling work.
7. Elections: The current officials were all re-elected en bloc, proposed by Colin MacAllister and seconded by Mike Cipolato. (Hon.President: Fr.Benedict; Vice President: Owen Halloran; Chairman: Ralph Giulianotti; Treasurer: Mark Dunn; Secretary: Mike Turnbull; Committee: Chris Stephenson, Brian Caulfield, Colin Peteranna, Vinnie Igoe.
8. Discussion on recent Media publicity: The general feeling of the meeting was an affirmation of the good things which the members experienced at Fort Augustus, but also the abhorrence of the abusive behavior which has been alleged
9. Deaths: The meeting ended with a prayer for deceased members and monks who had passed away since our last AGM. Fr. Edward Delepine died in Nov. 2013 aged 95 (Mike Turnbull, Ralph Giulianotti and Edward Welsh attended the funeral at Ampleforth and laid a wreath from the OBs.); Duncan Demarco (Demo - 50s) April 2014; Billy Sinclair(40s&50s) July 2014; Dr. Calum Bartlett (30s&40s) July 2014; Hamish McPherson (60s) Aug. 2014. Our Chaplain will remember all our deceased members in his masses. R.I.P.
10. Date of next AGM and Dinner: Saturday 3 October 2015 at the Holiday Inn, Theatreland, Glasgow, with AGM at 7.00 followed by Dinner 7.30pm.